Vaginal odor is one of the most common problems that affect females once they hit the age of puberty. As the name implies, any odor that originates from the vaginal region is termed as vaginal odor. A slight odor is usually considered normal, but excessive of it that resembles fishy smell indicates a severe issue that needs to be taken care of (1).
While many of you might prefer douching with water as you look for potent solutions on how to get rid of vaginal odor, there are many easy and amazing home remedies that you can add to the list. But before we proceed to the solutions, let us explore the problem in detail together.
Symptoms of Vaginal Odor
The symptoms of vaginal discharge vary from one person to another. Some of the most common symptoms include the following (2):
- A high amount of thick white water discharge
- Discharge that smells foul or fish-like secretion
- Discharge that has metallic-smell
- Green or yellow discharge
- Itching or pain in the vaginal region
- Pain in the lower abdominal region
- Pain during intercourse
- Burning sensation in the vaginal area
It might be possible at times that the abnormal odor from the vagina is not accompanied by above-mentioned symptoms. However, this does not symbolize that the problem is not worthy of attention (3).
What Causes Vaginal Odor?
Vaginal odor is associated with multiple factors. Some of the common causes have been listed here (4):
- Vaginal infection such as trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginosis
- Ongoing menstrual cycle
- Normal sweating
- Hormonal changes or imbalance such as alteration in the estrogen levels during pregnancy, breastfeeding or menopause
- Unchanged tampon for a long duration
- Usage of external chemicals to clean the vaginal area that can lead to disturbance in the vaginal flora
- Consuming edibles that stimulate vaginal odor such as starchy food, yeast-rich food, sweets, etc.
Of the given causes, bacterial vaginosis is one of the most common vaginal infections that cause vaginal odor (5).